Skip to main content

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - Part 2

Hi,

Finally started some interesting work after a looooot of sanding on the wings and fuselage. But it's ok as I started the fun part of scratch-building the cockpit, and that's fun !


Cockpit

The tubular structure of the cockpit needs to be shortened (red line) in order to fit the wings on the fuselage.




The seat provided in the box vaguely looks like the original :






I made a new seat from scratch using 0.25mm plastic sheet helped with the instruction manual of the UT-2.
Of course, I realized later that I misinterpreted the schematics and that (1) reads actually "Shoulder seatbelts", so no sides on that seat ... More on that on Part 3 of this build.

Scratch-built seat with cushion (see Part 3 - for correction)


The headrest is too large to be fitted in the fuselage. Here again a lot of sanding.






On the picture below, two interesting features that will be added. Firstly, the leather bulge (2) just in front of the pilot; but I will take care of it later on. Secondly, the horizontal structure surrounding the pilot (1):




To create this part, I printed a pattern on 0.25mm plastic sheet and cut it accordingly.



I then added a small vertical part that will help to set the PE instrument panel later.


It looks a bit messy with all that ink on plastic. I use that trick to have a good idea if the surface is smooth enough. Ink will be removed before painting to avoid a mess.





Wings

There is a big gap on the wing/fuselage junction and adding 2x0.25 mm of plastic sheet didn't really help.



A  distinctive feature of this plane are the walkway stripes on the root of the left wing. It looks awful on the kit and will be replaced with 7 (not 8 like on kit) very thin strips after gluing the wings.




Thanks for looking

Antoine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Northrop F-5E Tiger II - Walkaround (Swiss Air Force)

Messerschmitt Bf-109 E3 Walkaround

Walkaround of the Messerschmitt Bf-109 E3 (J-355; Werk NummerlFactory Number 2422) exhibited at the Swiss Air Force Museum at Dubendorf Air Base near Zurich, Switzerland. My wife and I visited this museum and although I was more enthusiastic than her I think she appreciated it :) bf-109 antenna isolator Antenna isolator Antenna isolator 20MM FF-K Oe 37 (Flugzeugfliigel-Kanone Oerlikon 1937) Engine radiator flap Exhausts Right landing gear Left landing gear Wheel bay cover Pitot tube   Radiator flap indicator

Mil Mi-6 Hook cockpit (Aviation museum of Riga, Latvia)

This huge baby welcomes you when you get inside the aviation museum of Riga. Before being replaced by the Mil Mi-26 Halo, the Mi-6 was the biggest helicopter in the world.  This aircraft was repainted by the museum. Needless to say that when the guy of the museum asked me if I wanted to get inside this monster I was about to poop in my pants :-) Portboard landing gear I was lucky enough to get inside the monster and discover a museum full of soviet-era stuff Some access door on the ceiling Seat inside the nose of the monster Inside the nose (portboard) Starboard side of the nose +  my hairy arm as a bonus Above pilot's head